What Are SuperFoods Anyways??



You've probably heard the term SuperFoods thrown around a lot lately and although it sounds great....maybe you're wondering what these so called "SUPER" foods actually do to make them so special??

I've personally had a passion for nutrition for years now and I do believe in the healing powers that foods can have....the problem is in our modern society, "natural" and unprocessed foods are hard to come by! 

I've recently started drinking a daily shake that is packed full of over 70 SuperFoods and the differences I'm noticing are pretty SUPER! I really tested my SuperFood shake this week when I started to come down with a cold a few days ago. I know colds are pretty benign but let me tell you, I HATE COLDS!! They make me feel so groggy and awful. So at the first sign of a sore throat, I started drinking more of my SuperFood shake and had it daily......fast forward 3 days...Cold's GONE! Ok...Maybe there is something to these SuperFoods!

So what is a SuperFood?

SuperFoods are foods that come from all over the globe and do more than just provide us with calories. In fact, most are very low in calories yet extremely dense in nutrient content. They feed our bodies on a cellular level and help to boost our immune system and are full of antioxidants that fight off free radicals.

Free radicals are released during a process called oxidation. Free radicals are very damaging to our body's cells, worsen our allergies, speed up the aging process, and have even been shown to promote cancer! 

Some examples of SuperFoods that are antioxidants include:

  • Blueberries, Acai berries, Acerola cherry, Camu-camu, Goji berries, Pomegranate, Rose hips, Luo han guo, Grade seed, Green tea

What are Phytonutrients??


Phytonutrients are another nutrient category that many SuperFoods fall into as well. These foods are plant derived and support our health in many different ways. 

They help support our body by:


  • Strengthening our immune system
  • Help Detox the body
  • Promote an ideal Alkaline state in our system
  • Promote a healthy aging process

Foods that contain phytonutrients include:


  • Moringa, Chlorella, Spirulina, Spinach, Barely Grass, Kamut Grass, Oat Grass, and Wheatgrass


All About Adaptogens Herbs:


The name alone suggests that foods in this category help us to "Adapt" and this is true. These herbs may not sound as familiar to you but their properties are pretty amazing!


 These include things like:

  • Astragalus, Ashwagandha, ginko leaf, holy basil leaf, maca root, maitake mushroom, reishi mushroom

What do these do??

  • Strengthen our immune system
  • Support healthy endocrine function (think thyroid)
  • Help our bodies to cope with environmental stress
  • increase energy and stamina naturally (thanks maca!)
  • Clear our minds and allow for better cognitive function
  • Promote a state of calmness


Probiotics and Prebiotics:

In addition to these amazing  Superfoods and SuperGrasses/Herbs, Pro & Prebiotics are also very important to helping optimize our body functions


Why We Need Probiotics: 

Bacillus or Lactobacillus are GOOD bacteria....wait good bacteria?? 

Yes!! There is TONS of bacteria that live in our gut and intestines and help us with digestion and help our immune system. 

These GOOD bacteria are necessary for cleaning out our system which can build up toxins over time (thanks to lots of chemicals and processed food!). 

Without the Good bacteria, the bad bugs can take over and this can cause GI upset, gas, bloating...Despite exercising! So keep your stomach happy and make sure to get a good dose of these good bacteria!

What are Prebiotics?

PRObiotics need PREbiotics to feed them and help them thrive! 

One amazing plant that is full of Prebiotics is the Yacon Root, in fact it has the greatest amount of prebiotics of any plant in the world!


This bad boy is great for promoting good digestion and keeping our immune system in tip top shape!



This all sounds great....but where do I find these exotic ingredients in my grocery store??

Unfortunately, in our modern society it's EXTREMELY difficult to find these powerful Superfoods and get enough of them to actually see a benefit. 

You could go to a health food store and buy various supplements or you can get them all in ONE BAG! 

Shakeology has all of these SuperFoods, Amino Acids, Essential Proteins, Pro & Prebiotics, Adaptogen Herbs, and Antioxidants!

I've tried to find a comparable but I can't seem to find one that exists...

Another amazing fact about these shakes is that the SuperFoods are preserved in their whole food state and very minimally processed down to create the powder form of the drink. This preserves the nutrient content and gives your body the whole-food nutrients rather than simply a derived or extracted product that lacks all of the goodness. 

Since getting more of these SuperFoods in my daily diet, I've noticed the following:

  • WAY Better digestion/Regularity (I've had IBS for years!)
  • Much more focus and mental clarity at work
  • More daily energy! (I was addicted to red bull prior, no more!)
  • SLEEP!!! 
Sleep is HUGE for me!...I was going nights without sleeping due to stress and anxiety and I've been taking sleeping aides for the last 3+ years with little benefit and that left me feeling groggy the next day. 

After about 5 days of drinking my Shakeolgoy, I started to sleep soundly WITHOUT meds! I've been drinking it now for the last 2.5 months and I haven't had a night of insomnia and only used sleeping aides ONE TIME!

I have to say...once you FEED your body right...it does amazing things for you!
My Daily Dose of SuperFoods!


Whether you get your SuperFoods from supplements, whole foods, or Shakeology, it doesn't matter to me but if you are interested in learning more about this amazing product that's helped me and many others I know CLICK BELOW!

-Sara Petrucci

No comments:

Post a Comment